Monday, December 04, 2006

A Butterfly, Dinner Rolls and Coke Caps, Oh My!


Today we found 30 cents in change and 14 bottles and cans.

For the first time in a while, it was more than seasonably cold! Maybe the more accurate term to describe the day might be frigid. And in the northern part of the state (down east Maine), the word of the day was blizzard. O.k. maybe not blizzard but there were several inches falling to the north. I’m just happy we escaped without any flakes.

Continuing with the story from this past weekend – So I’m on my way to do some grocery shopping in Somersworth. I always tend to take route 111 because of its direct connection to 202 and then the back roads which always seem to have the low traffic. As I’m traveling along I notice these packages every so often. I didn’t think anything of the first one, but then I kept seeing another one and so on. I finally pulled over and decided to take a first hand look for myself, and what did I find? Dinner rolls! Yes sir, a dozen fresh cracked wheat dinner rolls all nicely packaged and waiting for me (see picture). I checked the date, which had a use date of 12/12/06 so I knew I was in business.

A little later on, while at Demoulas, I’m walking by the bread section and what do I see? You guessed it, those same cracked wheat dinner rolls with a 1.99 price tag per dozen! Now I’m really intrigued because I know that there’s more of them laying along the side of the road all along route 111. So, on my way back, I picked up some more. There were quite a few packages along the way but only 2 were undamaged, which begs the question, how in the hell did they get there? I have several theories but I’ll probably never know which one is the right one. At any rate, we had pot roast last night and I decided to throw in a half-dozen rolls to go with the meal. Take it from me, they were yummy!


The Money Report – Michele continued her coining finding ways with a penny found on Pleasant Street during her early morning walk. Later on, during my run, I picked up a penny on Allen. I needed to run to the bank in the afternoon and snagged a penny in the parking lot. Michele came home from work with another 11 cents (1 dime and 1 penny), then, on her run, she found a single penny on Kirk Street.

The evening walk contributed another 15 cents to the cause. Coin locations were: 10cents in the rite aid parking lot, 2 cents at the high school, 1 penny at the skateboard park, 1 penny at 7-11, and one penny on Mill. We did also find a birdhouse hanger double end hook and a neat butterfly design, which was probably off a key chain or something. Additional pictures provided for your viewing pleasure.

Cap update – ok, last but not least, here are the totals for the current cap promotions that I am aware of. Our current totals are 2179 for the coke cap promotion and 786 for the power aid promotion. I also found out by reading the fine print that the redemption period for the coke rewards game has been extending to April 15th, 2007 from December 31st 2006. That’s means more time to collect points, (free of course) and cash in on a better prize.

Over and Out!


Money totals for 2006 – 212.29
Money totals since Jan. 2005 – 330.64

Bottle and Can totals for 2006 – 13,625 – 681.25
Bottle and Can totals since Jan. 2005 – 23,647 – 1,182.35

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home