Sunday, December 03, 2006

Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Hi folks, and sorry for the delay in posting my finds for the last 3 days, but things were pretty hectic for a while. Michele’s father had a knee replacement about a month ago. He was doing fine up until this past week. Apparently he had been overdoing it in therapy of that knee, which caused him to contract an infection. They needed to admit him to the ICU unit of Northern Maine Medical. Although it was touch and go for a day or so, he’s doing better now. It turns out that he had some fluid built up around the heart and in his lungs, so they were worried about pneumonia setting in. With a heavy dose of antibiotics, that has been cleared up, but they’re continuing the dosage for now until they feel he’s completely out of the woods.

Needless to say, I was on my own with the animals, Lexi and Trouble, while Michele and the rest of her family (6 other brothers and sisters, plus others in the immediate family) rallied to their father’s aid. There is now a big sigh of relief.

Money report – On Friday, I was unable to find and money but I did come with 17 bottles and cans. It was just a deluge of rain that kept coming and coming, and while I did hit all of the hotspots, I wasn’t able to make a score.

On Saturday, it was a whole different story coming up with 10 cents in change and 20 bottles and cans. Once again I was solo with Lexi on the morning walk. I decided to head out and hit some of the side streets, which proved to be a good move. Our first coin came on Riverbank (1 penny), then we followed it up with 2 cents on Pine, 1 penny on Harris, 1on Dorsey, 2 pennies on Allen, and one on cash corner (Pleasant Street). Then, during my grocery shopping run at Demoulas, I found one penny in the parking lot. The final 2 cents came on the evening, which Michele made it back for. The first penny came at the car wash and second was found on Main St.

Today we found 43 cents and 16 bottles and cans. This was by far the best of the 3 days. Michele found 9 cents on her morning walk with Lexi. The first came on Payne Street, followed by 1 cent at the Depot, a nickel at the High School and 1 penny on Mill Street. A little bit later she went out for her and found a dime on Main Street.

On my long run, the fun continued with a total of 3 coins. My initial find was a penny on Main Street, nearly a 1 ½ in near the Tennis courts. Then I came up with a dime on Brook Street and a single penny on North. The evening walk produced another 11 cents with a dime at Nasson College and a penny on Main Street just up from the intersection with Kirk.

Sidebar – I had intended on adding an update from the coke and power aid promotions, but, because of the length of this post, I will delay that until tomorrow, plus I have another interesting story that I think you’ll find humorous as well.

Good Night and Good Hunting.

Money totals for 2006 – 211.99
Money totals since Jan. 2005 – 330.34

Bottle and Can totals for 2006 –13,611 – 680.55
Bottle and Can totals since Jan. 2005 – 23,633 – 1,181.65

1 Comments:

Blogger nhcardhunter said...

Hi Andy, thanks for the kind words. Actually, its Michele's father, but he's like a father to me. My parents have both passed away. From the updates though, its full steam ahead on his recovery.

About running - When I first started running, I did it to keep my legs in shape. I was a pitcher and center fielder in the Seacoast MSBL baseball league. Then, after I got used to the miles, I decided that I wanted to do some racing because of my competitive nature. After 7 years of playing baseball (3 championships) I decided to hang up the spikes and run on the race circuit full time. Here's a couple of things to remember when first starting out.

Go out and run one mile. See if you can actually get through it and then see how you feel the next day. You'll probably have some lactic acid build up which after a few runs should go away. Then, assuming all systems are go, alternate every other day at a mile for a while and see how it feels. I've seen plenty of guys who are really good athletes break down. Their bodies just can't take the pounding. One more thing, buy yourself a good pair of running shoes. Don't run in old shoes, you'll break down for sure if you do. Don't worry about time, just finish, over time the fitness will come and so will the weight loss.

Best,

Jim

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home