Thursday, August 17, 2006

Two Halves Make A Whole!

We found 35 cents and 72 bottles and cans.

Here’s a good human-interest story for all of you coin finding gurus. Back in 2005, somewhere around March or so, I was on a walk with Lexi and came upon half of a penny. Don’t ask me how I noticed it, maybe it was the glint of copper that clued me in, maybe it was just dumb luck. Anyway, I showed it to Michele that night and we had a good laugh about how much it would count toward the total.

Now fast forward 2 days, I’m walking the same stretch of road with Lexi again and this time I find another half of penny about 100 feet away from where I found the first one. So I start thinking, no, this can’t be. When I get home I locate the first half I found and then put it next to the second one and bingo, it’s a perfect match. We sat down for a while and tried to figure out what the odds of finding both halves of a penny were. Take into consideration that we still had some snow on the ground at the time and still very much in the grip of winter. As best we can figure, the penny at large must have been hit by a snowplow, then somehow was broken into two halves, and then through the thaw runoff and constant traffic slowly became separated until I came upon them. Now that’s something you don’t see everyday.

On the money front, Michele found 28 cents on her morning walk with Lexi, a quarter and 2 pennies came from Mill and the remaining cent was found on Allen. When I went out for my run in the afternoon I found one penny on Riverbank. Then, on our evening walk, we found 7 cents, one in the rite aid parking lot, 4 at the car wash and 2 at the 7-11.

Keep your pace even and your eyes to the ground!

Money totals for 2006 – 130.20
Money totals since Jan. 2005 – 247.57

Bottle and Can totals for 2006 – 8,109 – 405.45
Bottle and Can totals since Jan. 2005 – 18,131 – 906.55

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home